Thursday, June 3, 2010

Introducing Eddie Vedder

Pearl Jam was the start of my love affair with rock music. 1993 was the year rock music entered my life. This is all thanks to my older brother who introduced Pearl Jam (and flannel shirts) to me. (Thanks, Kuya!)

The lead singer of Pearl Jam is Eddie Vedder. I love his lyrics, his voice, and the range of emotions in his performances. (I mean, look at his performance face on Time Magazine.) Of the Pearl Jam songs, I consider Black, Man of the Hour, Corduroy, Yellowledbetter, Alive, and Just Breathe among my many, many favorites.



Eddie & Me: My now 3-year old golden retriever is named after Eddie Vedder. One weekend, I rented the Marley and Me DVD. (If you haven't watched it yet, there is a spoiler ahead.) It's the end of the movie, when it's time to say goodbye to Marley. I am really, really crying. As I sit on the couch, Eddie is laying on the floor in front of me. As he hears me sob and gasp for air, he gets up and lays his paw on my leg to console me. He even tilts his head to look at me with his thoughtful eyes.

I remember smiling through my tears. He pulled me out of my sadness momentarily. I never thought I'd be one of those crazy-for-my-dog-people. I am a dog person through and through and my baby-dog, Eddie, has enriched my life.

(Side note: As I write this, I realize that my love and appreciation for dogs were also influenced by my brother. Thanks, again, Big Bro!)

P.s. Here's a link to the real Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam in action, you're welcome! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aePWkeDxRjE

No comments:

Post a Comment